Creating living space in attics and basements is possible with a company such as Roeser Home Remodeling. That’s because we’ve been helping St. Louis area homeowners find extra room upstairs and downstairs for more than 40 years.
Face it, you love your home. It has great “bones” and character. Your family has made a lot of memories there and your neighbors are great. But you’ve outgrown it. What do you do?
You find room above and below and make it work for you. We can help you do that.
When it comes to creating space in attics and basements, many people look to attics first.
There’s something about a room beneath the rafters that evokes feelings of coziness, of having a secret hideaway. Imagine writing the Great American novel at your desk, a cup of tea nearby as rain patters on the roof.
But attics can be tricky. You have to find a work-around for rafters, dormer windows and slanted roofs. That’s why you should call us. We have the expertise.
Our design team is made up of designers and architects. They will sit down with you to discuss your options. Sometimes, an attic won’t be possible and if that’s the case, we’ll be upfront with you. We’re well-known in the St. Louis metro area for our integrity.
Why an Attic Remodel May Not Work
There are two big reasons why you may not be able to remodel an attic:
- The wrong type of trusses. Older homes have rafters; homes built from around 2000 on have trusses. Rafters look like giant triangles that form the peak of your homes’ roof. Trusses are giant triangles made up of smaller triangles. All of those triangles form a webbing. This makes an attic remodel impossible to do without removing them, which is very expensive.
- Code requirements. You absolutely must work within code when remodeling an attic. That’s because there are many to deal with, such as load. Floor joists have a minimal dead weight they can bear. Minimal live load requirements are about four times that much. We’ll be able to tell you if your attic meets those code requirements.
Design questions to consider
Other questions to think about when considering an attic remodel:
- Where would the staircase go? And is there enough room on the floor below for it?
- Will there be enough headspace?
- Will there be storage available? Even an office could use a closet.
- Will there be enough natural light? If a small dormer window isn’t enough, can skylights be installed?
Unlike other parts of the country, homes in the Midwest come with basements, rather than a flat foundation. Depending on the home’s age, remodeling it may be relatively easy. The professionals that make up Roeser Home Remodeling’s design team will sit down with you to discuss your basement remodel project and any problems we might have to work around.
The Benefits of Remodeling a Basement
There are plenty of benefits of renovating a basement. Here are just a few:
- A finished basement can add value to your home’s resale
- If you do a lot of entertaining, it’s a great way to make noise, spread out and have fun without worrying about the weather.
- It may be the only way you can expand your living space, especially if you have a zero lot line property.
The Downside of Remodeling a Basement
There are structural and design challenges in every renovation project. The reality of a house and a homeowner’s dream don’t always mesh. But we are experts at finding workarounds for problems. Here a few you may encounter.
- Too much moisture. Basements are below ground so they’re going to have some dampness. One solution might be to install a whole house dehumidifier.
- Too dim. There are design tricks to brighten a basement, such as white walls, lighter flooring, the right kind of lighting. Our design team will help you fix that problem.
If you need to get more living space out of your current home, call Roeser Home Remodeling at 314-822-0839. Or contact us. We have been helping St. Louis families for more than 40 years and we can help you.